The Sesquicentennial celebrations of 2016 was a watershed movement in the history of the School. All stakeholders participated in the yearlong activities with great enthusiasm and fervour. The Parents’ Committee was particularly instrumental in organizing Fund-raisers to upgrade the School infrastructure.
In the academic year 2010-2011, Mrs. Sujata Mallic Kumar was appointed as Principal of the School.
In March 2006, the Management appointed Mrs. Matthew as Executive Director of the School, in recognition of her years of dedicated service to St. Mary’s. Miss Jessica Simoes who was in charge of the Boys’ School took her place as Principal.
In June 1976, Mrs. Elizabeth Matthew who had been a senior English teacher with the School since 1973 was appointed Vice Principal. The following year, the Sisters withdrew from the School and Mrs. Elizabeth Matthew took over as Principal. In June 1992, Mrs. Matthew started a Boys' School, with one division of each class, from Upper Kindergarten to Class X.
The School was founded on November 5th 1866 by Archdeacon Leigh Lye and Judge Lloyd. A circular was sent out to the residents of Poona and a headmistress was engaged. From 1866 to 1878, there was little progress. In 1878, the Sisters from the Community of St.Mary the Virgin in Wantage, Oxfordshire, England, who had come to Pune the previous year, took over the management. From 1878 to 1977, the School was run by the Sisters. In their hands the history of the School was one of continuous progress and growth.
Established in 1866, St. Mary’s School, Pune is proud of its long history and academic tradition. At the same time, it is unique in the way it has kept abreast with the new trends in education and has responded to the changing needs of children. St. Mary’s has several major strengths: a solid academic programme, a child centered approach and an unbeatable ambience. Christian principles form its foundation and it is registered as a minority school. However admissions are open to children of all communities.